Pedestal Sink Installation: What the plumbers didn’t tell you
Kohler Pedestal Sink FAQ
1. Mark the area where the sink must be set. Draw a straight line with a pencil along the upper part of a sink using a spirit level.
2. Press the sink firmly to the marked area to check if that the line you just draw matches the top edge of the sink.
3. Use a pencil to draw the placement of the holes for mounting.
4. Make the holes with the help of a hammer drill. Their diameter should be slightly smaller than the size of the dowels.
5. Put the dowels into the holes. Fasten the self-tapping screws to fix the sink. Level it off with the pedestal so the drain hole will be located in the center.
6. Fix the pedestal with the help of special bolts or nuts.
1. Block the water system by blocking valves located under the sink and check if the water doesn’t flow.
2. Unscrew the union nuts using an adjustable wrench of the required size. You can also use the plumbing pliers if the nuts are stuck.
3. Take out the flexible hoses.
4. Remove the overhead plastic plugs from the bolts fixing the sink to the wall.
5. Unscrew the mounting nuts. It would be more convenient to do it with a helper that could hold the sink so it didn’t fall while you are unscrewing the mounting nuts.
6. Remove the P-trap by loosening the lock nut at the top, slide the wedge-shaped seal down, loosen the nut on the drainpipe and uninstall the P-trap.
7. Carefully demount the sink from the pedestal.
8. Demount the pedestal by unbolting it from the floor using a wrench. Then lift it straight up to take it off.
Whether you want to set up the Kohler pedestal sink or any other, you need to know its width. It should properly fit into its place without interfering with the other stuff in your bathroom. The width of the pedestal sink measures from the front to the back of the sink at its widest point. If you are going to the sink to the wall, it’s the distance it will protrude from the wall. So find out this distance to discover if you have enough room to set up the pedestal sink.